

Hi there! Just got back from a great weekend in Zanzibar last night. We flew out early early on Saturday morning. We had a driver pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel in Stone town. We had the choice of staying in Stone town, or the other side of the island, which is more resort-like. We opted for Stone town, since it was much cheaper and it was difficult to justify spending $175 per night, since we are living around soooo much extreme poverty. Our hotel was a little less than wonderful, but the sheets were clean, they had air conditioner, it was a great location, and free breakfast!! After we arrived we headed out for the city tour, which we definitely could have done without. Our guide was more interested in his cell than us....and we are pretty sure that he just memorized the whole tour in english, but doesn't understand english all that well. Stone town is very poor and every building is crumbling. They want to keep the buildings historical so they do not restore anything. After the tour we beached it. Zanzibar is an amazing place. At night we went to an amazing seafood dinner....I think they must have some of the best in the world. We then ventured to the bar across the street from our hotel since it is not safe to be out past 11. We quickly realized that the people of Zanzibar do not want to be apart of Tanzania, so there are many political uprises here....sorry dad!!!...but we didn't experience any of that while we were there. Sunday morning we headed to the northeast of the island, which was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! I've never seen anything like it...white sand, clear water, few people....sooo beautiful!!! We wished that we had stayed on that side of the island. Michele and I are contemplating going back during our last week as we found out today that the price to fly to Mauritius is more than our flight here.
Today was a rough day at my placement. There were over 40 kids today and I just couldn't keep track. Apparently all of the sick ones are back, and they are overpowering me. It is alll very frustrating, but I am doing all I can do...and that I know. After placement Michele and I went to town and purchased many boxes of tissue, soap, paper, pencils, sharpeners, rulers, workbooks etc. Many people have donated to the fund so we are stalking up for the kids. I cannot wait to bring the tissue and soap tomorrow. I am going to have the teacher explain the importance of washing hands after going to the bathroom. I think this could save the kids from a lot of sickness. I see them walking out of the bathroom with their hands soaking wet with their pee, then put their hands in their mouth. I think I am going to work to send some soap dispencers, toilet paper, and driers to my school after I get home. This would make a huge difference in their health. It is the little things like this that we take fore granted.
I'm absolutely exhausted....it could be partly from my horrific sunburn, but I'm sure these kids are wearing me down...in a good way :) It seems that the malaria is spreading....I am pouring on the deet a few times a day...fingers crossed. I am being stared at, so I must say goodbye. Much love...buzus!!!!!!
Today was a rough day at my placement. There were over 40 kids today and I just couldn't keep track. Apparently all of the sick ones are back, and they are overpowering me. It is alll very frustrating, but I am doing all I can do...and that I know. After placement Michele and I went to town and purchased many boxes of tissue, soap, paper, pencils, sharpeners, rulers, workbooks etc. Many people have donated to the fund so we are stalking up for the kids. I cannot wait to bring the tissue and soap tomorrow. I am going to have the teacher explain the importance of washing hands after going to the bathroom. I think this could save the kids from a lot of sickness. I see them walking out of the bathroom with their hands soaking wet with their pee, then put their hands in their mouth. I think I am going to work to send some soap dispencers, toilet paper, and driers to my school after I get home. This would make a huge difference in their health. It is the little things like this that we take fore granted.
I'm absolutely exhausted....it could be partly from my horrific sunburn, but I'm sure these kids are wearing me down...in a good way :) It seems that the malaria is spreading....I am pouring on the deet a few times a day...fingers crossed. I am being stared at, so I must say goodbye. Much love...buzus!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment