Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2 more days!

Yesterday was Michele's official b-day. I put a happy birthday sign on our door and taped it with band-aids, as I could not find proper tape. Anyone who has every received anything mildly creative from me knows how un-creative I actually am. Hahhaa, but she was thankful! School was fine yesterday, accept for Anita throwing up again. I am convinced that she either eats to much or the porridge upsets her stomach. I mentioned it to the teacher today and she just said that it is too hot for her...she has no idea what she is talking about. This language barrier killlllls me!

I delivered the mop and it was a success!!! Angel ran up behind me and hugged me tight.....they were very thankful, but a bit timid to use something new.

After school, Michele, Brooke, and I went to Upendo orphanage to play with the kids for a few hours. I met Ava, who I fell in love with. She is about 2...sooo sweet and wanted to be held the whole time. There was another volunteer there from Austria. She was so angry at the woman who work their because one of the little girls needed bigger shoes as she could barely walk because her shoes were so small. I really think that the workers are doing the best they can. They are with the children day in and day out and can only do so much. There is no possible way that they can cater to every child that needs attention. There just aren't enough hands. I went to the back again to visit the disabled children. There were 3 in the dark room, laying in their cribs. It absolutely broke my heart. I just held their hands and spoke to them in English....one of them even giggled, which warmed my heart a bit. I have always believed in hope, but for these children, I feel they have none. When they leave the orphanage, they will most likely be put in constitutions, and will have very short lives after. I will be going back with Michele on Friday to deliver food to the orphanage...should be an exciting afternoon!!

Jennifer delivered the soap and food to the Juvi Center that Michele had bought, and the kids were ecstatic!! They had to hide their soap from the warden so that he would not take it. It's such a sad place. They have no extra clothes and only get 1.5 hours out of their rooms a day. Many of these children have stolen to survive. It is a vicious cycle for them.

Last night, the chefs made an awesome cake for Michele, which tasted amazing!!!!!! Oh how I love chocolate!! We ventured to the local bar across the street for some wine and chit chat. When we made it back to our house, of course, the power was out. As they say...TAB(That's Africa Baby). :) Poor Michele can't sleep when the power is out because it is about 100 degrees in our room...I slept like a baby :)

I am quite frustrated with teaching. One of the visiting nuns came into my classroom while I was there alone, and realized that the kids were out of control. They wouldn't even listen to her...so she left and came back with a stick and started swatting. She told me that the only way they would listen was if I would hit them. I tried to explain that this is not the way we do things in America and I didn't feel right hitting the kids with the stick...I don't think she understood. I just wish I had another set of hands. One of the volunteers was supposed to come help me today, but got my hopes up as she wasn't able to make it. Thelma, one of the older ladies at the house, sees me everyday when I get home and seems to be the only one who understands how beat down I am. She explained it well.....I have no control over the classroom, can't communicate with the teachers or children, which makes me feel unuseful and horrible about myself. When I try really hard to think positively I know that I am helping....it's just so easy to see the negative. They have learned many english words from my flash cards, head, shoulder, knees, and toes, most of the alphabet song, some shapes, some colors, and how to write a few numbers. I know they have improved and love me being their to play games and give them attention, but it just doesn't feel enough. I found out today that I can't send them things from home because they have to pay a huge tax to receive packages. It seems the only way is to connect with other volunteers, send them money, and have them purchase things here to take to the school. It's never easy.

Time is winding down. I have 2 more days of school, which is very exciting! I will miss the kids , the staff, and the volunteers, but I am ready to continue my travels, and will most definitely be ready for home on the 29th of February. I can't wait to be clean!!!!!!!!!!! I am off for more errands....hope you enjoyed the pictures! Much love!!! XOXO

No comments: