Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!







I had a much better day today. I went through my lessons and had the kids make Valentine's for their families. The teacher actually tried to translate for me today, which was awesome. When math time came, I started to feel extremely sick, so I sat in the back of the room, praying that I wouldn't vomit or get malaria. It passed after an hour or so...whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I got out of teaching math. During tea time, I spoke with a few of the visiting sisters and they expressed how they didn't want me to forget them. It was a nice feeling....they reallllly do appreciate me being their and helping the children.

I had to handwash my underwear the other day. It is considered unclean for you to send out your underwear to be laundered. I'm definitely throwing everything away that I brought here. I had to sit in the backyard with a bucket and soap. That was it!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an experience.

Last night the boys surprised us with a Valentine's Day song titled, "Happy F****** V-Day To You." It was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tonight we are all headed to the local bar for my favorite.....cheese, chocolate, and wine!!! I'm very excited. Should be a much better Valentine's than last year, when I got a flat tire, then in an accident, then turned down a 1 way street.

After placement today, Michele, Brooke, and I had our feedback meeting with the directors of CCS. They expressed their sincere appreciation for everything we have done. It felt so good! They are such wonderful people and you can sense their gratefulness in their eyes. We gave them a few tips on things that could be improved, which they of course appreciated. It went very well.

Michele and I have pretend husbands here. Michele's is one of the drivers, Athmani, and mine is Kaleo, the local volunteer. Michele is the 2nd wife as Athmani's tribe promotes polygamy, but of course, I am the one and only. We have a good time joking around with eachother. Makes for a good laugh with everyone :)

We hung out with Sarah's, one of the staff members, boyfriend last night. He is a chef, so I asked if he cooks for Sarah. He said that he will never cook for her as it is not in their culture. I asked her about it today and she said that he would only cook for her if she was on her death bed. I couldn't believe it. He is a chef, but cannot cook for his girlfriend because it is not proper. Such a different life here. I have a deep appreciation for their culture, but could never live this way.

I am so excited for my last day. I think it may be a bit emotional for me, as I know I will never see those children again. I'm sure that they have impacted my life more than I have theirs. I have to run.....must go buy some socks and pencils for my last day.

The top picture is one of the girls cutting the lawn with a machete, below is me and Janet, then my teachers attempt of a picture of me and the class, then Anita(she sticks to me like glue and cries for her mom all day), then Gertrude with the new mop and bucket, then the boys singing their song. Enjoy!
Much love!!! XOXOXO

No comments: