Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Brick Wall


I'm quite discouraged today. I had a meltdown in class today...the teacher left me with 45 students today because she had to speak with a parent. The kids went absolutely insane...kicking, hanging on me, screaming, pushing, hitting....this is all while I am trying to get them to understand the concept of numbers. I was absolutely enraged and wanted to spank them all...don't worry..I refrained, but I have come to my limit and must ask for help now. I have been putting this off, thinking that I can handle it, but now I know I can't. I am like a substitute teacher to them, so they do not listen, and when they do, it is only when the teacher walks around with a swatting stick and actually translates for me. I am constantly carrying crying children in my arms. We have also accepted a 10 year old boy into our class....I asked the teacher why he can't go to a special school for disabled children and her only response was that he likes to play with smaller children....NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!! There is nothing I can do about it, as I do not want to step on anyone's toes. I love the kids and understand that they are young and just want attention, but I wish I had some assistance.

When I got home for lunch.....I realized that everyone had similar days to mine....we are all emotionally beat. Mona works at the juvi detention center and is just beside herself. There is nothing anyone can do to help these kids. She said that one of the kids wanted her to talk to his dad to apologize for him....many of these kids have stolen food to survive or simply do not want to go to school. There is one kid who has murdered and another who has raped. It is such a sad place. Holly, one of my roommates, feels that there is no hope. She works with a women's group where they are all infected with HIV/AIDS. She has began teaching their children english....the children that do not pass their exams do not get to go to secondary school, therefore, they are done. The families can't affored tutors, so they are unable to continue with their education. Brick wall.

We were discussing the orphanages the other night and realized that none of us know where the kids go after they are kicked out of the orphanges at age 5 or 6. Some of the volunteers have asked the workers, and all they say is that it is very sad what happens to them. We are pretty sure that they are just sent to the streets to fend for themselves. It is absolutely apalling.

Many people warned me that I would reach a place like this, but I didn't realize it would feel this awful to feel like there is absolutely nothing that you can do to help besides give hugs, smiles, and attention. I brought soap to the school today, but when I went to put it in the bathroom, I realized that the kids have no running water...again..I couldn't believe it. Looks like I will be sending hand sanitizer despensers instead. The kleenex was definitely a hit though....yay for that!!! Poor Zabron still has his ear infection...it is unbelievable. I am constantly cleaning out his poor ear and trying to make him laugh...I have attached a picture of him above.

I have to run out....we have a meeting about our event for tomorrow......we are going to Arusha tomorrow to watch the Rwanda trials. Should be very interesting. XOXOXO!

No comments: