Monday, February 11, 2008

Arusha







Just made it back from Arusha early this morning. I had a good time. Ludovic picked me up on Friday night. My aunt pin pointed it when she said that Ludovic's personality is much like Leonardo Decaprio in the movie "Blood Diamond". He's the guy you would want to be with you if you were at war in Africa. We picked up a few beers to drink on our drive home...apparently that's the way to do it here...I've learned that there really are no laws in Tanzania. On the way back to Arusha our car overheated so we had to stop, in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, to put water in the radiator. I stayed in the car because we were surrounded by the Tanzanians who wanted to "help." I watched as Ludovic unscrewed the cap to the radiator, and was just holding my breath because even I knew that you never do that when the car is still hot. The cap exploded in the air, along with boiling hot water. Luckily, everyone was able to get out of the way. After the car cooled, we continued our CRAZY drive back. Ludovic is quite the driver, which means out of control. There was no slowing down for speed bumps or people crossing the street. I almost had a heart attack a few times. We made it safely to his house. We made some din din and chatted for most of the night. He told me of his crazy African stories. While he was in South Africa getting his pilots license, he and some of his buddies were sitting in their house when a group of African men charged through the door with guns. Ludovic and his friends were tied together and held at gunpoint while the gang took everything they had. Luckily no one was seriously injured. Recently, he was being followed by a UN vehicle, so he pulled over to see what the issue was. The people in the car had stolen the vehicle 30 minutes prior and pulled out a gun and pointed it at Ludovic, he said that he just ran and ran for as long as he could. He later found out that this gang was from Kenya and had killed a bartendar in Arusha and was going around the area stealing and mugging people. I was extremely paranoid after hearing all of this. You just never know around here.

Ludovic works for an American company as a charter pilot. He was called in to work on Sunday, so I hung out at the house, with time for myself, which was great!!!! His new roommate, Eugene, arrived later so we all went out for drinks and an amazing dinner. It was a good time. I had to be back at my house at 7:20 this morning so we all got up at 5:30 for them to bring me back. Soooooo nice of them to bring me as I reallllllly didn't want to take the bus.

Work was a bit rough today. Poor Zebron is in pain again. He wimpered all day long. He wouldn't let me clean his ear today so I held him and he fell asleep on my shoulder. It breaks my heart as he must be feeling so sick. There is absolutely nothing I can do in this situation, which is the hardest part. Michele is headed to buy food for the Juvi Center and the orphanage today. It seems that there is a mass shortage, so she is using some donation money for this, which is wonderful. We have this week to get everthing accomplished, so it will be a busy one to say the least. I really want to spend some more time at the orphanage, so I will try my best to get there in the afternoons. I'm hoping we will have time to go buy some socks for some of my kids and maybe some extra clothes as well. 4 more days of class. Time has just flown by. It's unbelievable. Much love to you all! XOXOXO

No comments: