




It is my last day! I had an amazing last day at the school yesterday. Brittney came with me as she wasn't able to go to her placement. It was so great to have some assitance. Made all the difference. She couldn't believe that I have been doing it all alone. It was so nice to have some assurance. The principal, Imelda, called me into her office to say goodbye. She thanked me for all of my help and expressed the need for more. She said that they desperately need more volunteers as they are not funded by the goverment and cannot afford to hire more teachers, hence the 45 kids in my class. I explained that all I can do is express the need to CCS, but it is very difficult as everyone is in need of help here. Imelda gave me a necklace and a nice card. On the front of the envelope she wrote, "Piffy!" I had thought that she couldn't pronounce her T's, but it turns out that she never really knew my name....she was quite embarassed when she saw in my email address that my name is Tiffiny. At the end of the day, Sister Angel came into the class with her students to thank me for everything. She had 3 of the children present me with a conga and then she wrapped it around me. She had so many nice things to say. It was so sweet....I had huge tears in my eyes. I have never received a more sincere thank you in my life. The woman who I have tea with everyday, Getrude, couldn't stop crying when she had to leave. She said she will write me when she get's married in the next year and that she will never forget me. I didn't realize how much she liked me as most of our tea sessions have been in silence because of the language barrier and lack of things in common. As Ang says, "it gave me warm fuzzies inside." I was able to give each kid in my class a new pair of socks and pencil. They were ecstatic!! I now feel like I have truly impacted the lives of those around me, which is an amazing feeling. It has all been worth it!
After school, Jennifer, Michele, and I went on an adventure with one of the drivers's, Simon, to buy some more things from the donations Michele has received. We bought a huge bag of rice, tons of baby formula, soap, pampers etc. We then delivered the goods to Upendo Orphanage. Again, they were so thankful! When we walked into the children's rooms to say goodbye, we were malled by all, when I looked down, I realized Ava was attached to my leg. Michele and I became quite emotional when we left. The head of the orphanage said that Ava will be joining with her family soon, which is so exciting, but baby Gabriel has no one. We discussed the possibility of sponsoring some of the children. Very exciting!!!
We had to say goodbye to the volunteers that left for the weekend. It was so hard, as many of us have become attached to eachother. I am definitely going to miss my "family" here. The staff has expressed what a unique group we have. We have been so lucky!
We were told a few days ago that the skydiving company had a plain crash. 4 were killed, including a mzungu(white person), the pilot, the instructor, and an African on a bike. It is such a tragedy and so scary to think that 4 of our volunteers went skydiving with this company only 2 weeks ago. You just never know.
I truly feel like I did what I came here to do....I gave my helping hand and now understand that I have made my mark on some peoples lives. I will definitely stay connected with these people, and plan to come back in a few years. I plan to keep giving and will now make it an essential part of my life. If people who have nothing themselves can give, then I have no excuse. I am so thankful that I was able to experience this. Many of you have made this possible and there no words to describe my feelings of gratitude. Just know that you have truly made a difference in my life, through the words of encouragement, the donations, and love I have felt by all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :)
Michele and I leave for Zanzibar later today. We have a few loose ends to tie up, then we are off. I will write again soon, depending on my internet access. Much love! XOXOXOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment